Competitive Skills Open Badges offer a comprehensive model for recognising digital skills.
The badge constellation contains five levels to recognise digital skills. The badges are aimed at students, teachers and educators, working life, non-formal adult education personnel and customers or any citizen. The five levels are equivalent to levels of competence in vocational education – from satisfactory to excellent.
The badge constellation contains ten badges and five milestone badges. A milestone badge is earned after all level specific badges and previous level milestone badges are completed. All badges are issued via badge applications.
Demonstration of skills
The competence of all ten badges is demonstrated with badge applications. Familiarize yourself with the contents and badges of each level: Basic skills, Digital skills, Collaborator, Utiliser and Convergent thinker.
Basic skills -level constains six badges. The milestone badge is earned after all six badges are granted.
Choosing and using devices: Recipient of the badge can
- identify and select the appropriate device (e.g., computer, tablet, telephone)
- use the most common digital devices and their basic functions and settings
- check whether they are connected to a wireless or wired network
Searching and evaluating information: Recipient of the badge can
- search for information in digital environments (keywords, search engines)
- search for information in different formats (text, image, video)
- evaluate the reliability of digital content
- recognise how copyright is related to information and information sharing
Secure action: Recipient of the badge can
- identify the most common cyber threats and information security threats
- protect their devices (e.g., antivirus software, device locking and blocking malware)
- recognise when their information security has been violated and act accordingly
Responsible action: Recipient of the badge can
- recognise how the use of digital devices and applications impacts health and well-being
- use messaging services and social media services in a responsible manner
- take copyright into account when using and sharing information
- create and edit digital image content (presentation graphics) in compliance with copyrights
Communication and services: Recipient of the badge can
- recognise their rights and responsibilities when disclosing their information to electronic services
- use electronic services
- recognise strong identification methods
- protect their personal information and privacy
- recognise and comply with the principles of data protection
- use email and its basic features
Using and managing applications: Recipient of the badge can
- select and use word processing and spreadsheet applications
- identify different file formats
- produce standard text documents
- make spreadsheets and use formulas to perform calculations
- process and transfer data in different formats
Basic skills milestone badge
The recipient of the Basic skills milestone badge is able to use digital devices and services safely and in a responsible manner when communicating and using services. They are able to search for information in digital environments, assess the reliability of the information, and protect their personal information and privacy. They are able to use the most common office applications and use, produce and share digital content in compliance with copyrights.
Digital skills milestone badge is earned after Basic skills milestone badge and Digital me badge are issued.
The recipient of the Digital me badge can:
- manage and protect their own digital identity
- identify factors affecting their own digital footprint
- understand the difference between personal and professional presence in digital environments
- identify their own digital skills and development needs
The recipient of the Digital skills milestone badge is able to manage and protect their digital identity when acting personally or professionally in digital environments and social media. They identify development needs related to their digital competences.
Collaborator milestone badge is earned after Digital skills milestone badge and Collaboration badge are issued.
Recipient of the Collaboration badge can
- use digital tools to collaborate and produce
- edit, combine and develop digital content into a new format
- store, transfer and share digital content using digital tools
- utilize and select appropriate copyright licenses
The recipient of the Collaborator milestone badge is able to use digital tools to collaborate and produce, as well as to store and share information. They use, produce and distribute digital content. They are familiar with copyright and can choose the right copyright license for the intended purpose.
Utiliser milestone badge is earned after Collaborator milestone badge and Organizing you work badge are issued.
Recipient of the Organizing your work badge can
- use a variety of applications for organizing their work
- promote their own digital welfare by utilising good practices in knowledge work
- utilise self-management (self-regulation and time management) tools
The recipient of the Utiliser milestone badge is able to use a variety of applications and tools to carry out and organise work and self-management. He/she knows good practices in knowledge work and is able to promote their own digital welfare.
Convergent thinker milestone badge is earned after Utiliser milestone badge and Problem solving and planning badge are issued.
Recipient of the Problem solving and planning badge can
- independently identify challenges in digital environments
- identify opportunities created by new technologies at work and in everyday life
- use digital technology in a versatile way to search for, review and generate new information
- solve problematic situations methodically and make justified proposals for development
The recipient of the Convergent thinker milestone badge has completed all ten Open Badges for digital skills. The recipient is a versatile digital expert who recognizes and can solve challenges when using digital devices and environments. The recipient uses digital technology independently and collaboratively to generate information and solve problems.
Content is based on several frameworks
In creation of badges different frameworks were benchmarked and the project team co-operated with the Finnish National Agency for Education.
The most important frameworks:
Nationwide open badge constellation
The nationwide open badge constellation has been developed in the Competitive Skills project (Osuvat Taidot, from 2019 to 2021) funded by the European Social Fund.