Competitive Skills Open Badges offer a comprehensive model for recognising digital skills.
The badge constellation contains five levels to recognise digital skills. The badges are aimed at students, teachers and educators, working life, non-formal adult education personnel and customers or any citizen. The five levels are equivalent to levels of competence in vocational education – from satisfactory to excellent.
The badge constellation contains ten badges and five milestone badges. A milestone badge is earned after all level specific badges and previous level milestone badge are completed.
All badges are issued via badge applications.
Interested in learning more about the Competitive Skills badges?
Please contact our Digital Skills experts via the e-form. Use “Open Badges” as the subject line.
Basic skills -level constains six badges. The milestone badge is earned after all six badges are granted.
Choosing and using devices: Recipient of the badge can
- identify and select the appropriate device (e.g., computer, tablet, telephone)
- use the most common digital devices and their basic functions and settings
- check whether they are connected to a wireless or wired network
Searching and evaluating information: Recipient of the badge can
- search for information in digital environments (keywords, search engines)
- search for information in different formats (text, image, video)
- evaluate the reliability of digital content
- recognise how copyright is related to information and information sharing
Secure action: Recipient of the badge can
- identify the most common cyber threats and information security threats
- protect their devices (e.g., antivirus software, device locking and blocking malware)
- recognise when their information security has been violated and act accordingly
Responsible action: Recipient of the badge can
- recognise how the use of digital devices and applications impacts health and well-being
- use messaging services and social media services in a responsible manner
- take copyright into account when using and sharing information
- create and edit digital image content (presentation graphics) in compliance with copyrights
Communication and services: Recipient of the badge can
- recognise their rights and responsibilities when disclosing their information to electronic services
- use electronic services
- recognise strong identification methods
- protect their personal information and privacy
- recognise and comply with the principles of data protection
- use email and its basic features
Using and managing applications: Recipient of the badge can
- select and use word processing and spreadsheet applications
- identify different file formats
- produce standard text documents
- make spreadsheets and use formulas to perform calculations
- process and transfer data in different formats
Basic skills milestone badge
The recipient of this milestone badge is able to use digital devices and services safely and in a responsible manner when communicating and using services. They are able to search for information in digital environments, assess the reliability of the information, and protect their personal information and privacy. They are able to use the most common office applications and use, produce and share digital content in compliance with copyrights.
Digital skills milestone badge is earned after Basic skills milestone badge and Digital me badge are issued.
Collaborator milestone badge is earned after Digital skills milestone badge and Collaboration badge are issued.
Utiliser milestone badge is earned after Collaborator milestone badge and Organizing you work badge are issued.
Convergent thinker milestone badge is earned after Utiliser milestone badge and Problem solving and planning badge are issued.
Content is based on several frameworks
In creation of badges different frameworks were benchmarked and the project team co-operated with the Finnish National Agency for Education.
The most important frameworks:
How to become an issuer of Digital Skills Badges
- At least one person has participated in Train the trainers and received badges from the training
- Organisation has an Open Badge Factory licence (Pro)
- Organisation has partnered with TIEKE in Open Badge Factory
- TIEKE shares badges, milestone badges and applications as links to the organisation
- Organisation finalises badges and applications in their OBF
- Organisation is ready to issue Digital Skills Badges
Train the trainers
We offer training to teachers and other educators to improve their understanding on open badges and especially on Digital Skills badges. All trainers that issue Digital Skills badges must carry out this training
Trainer´s skills are confirmed with badge applications
Content of train the trainers
- Open badges
- Badge programmes: Open Badge Factory and Open Badge Passport
- Evaluating Competitive skills applications and issuing badges
Nationwide open badge constellation
The nationwide open badge constellation has been developed in the Competitive Skills project (Osuvat Taidot, from 2019 to 2021) funded by the European Social Fund.